LAW - Consumer guide to car lemon law, legal advice, lemon attorney, Free VIN Check, Vehicle History Report, and Kelley Blue Book value

Law - AUTO LEMON - USED CAR HISTORY CHECK offers free legal advice to car lemon law, lemon aid, legal forms and resources, attorney referral, AutoCheck Vehicle History Report and Kelley Blue Book.

Vehicle History Report, Used Car History, VIN Check, VIN Number Check

Free VIN Check

AutoCheck Vehicle History Report

VIN Number Check

Used Car Value

Vehicle History Report




Car History

Auto Insurance

Auto Warranty



Now you may ask legal questions online, legal consultation or attorney referral.

Click here to ask an attorney. There are at least 12 lawyers online to answer your question now.

Ask a Lawyer Online.  Get an Answer ASAP.

AUTO LEMON - USED CAR HISTORY CHECK offers Free VIN Check and AutoCheck Vehicle History Report. Please read our reviews and guide bellow:

  • Run Free VIN Check or order Unlimited AutoCheck Vehicle History Report
  • HOT NEWS! >> Each vehicle with a AutoCheck Assured certified vehicle history is backed by AutoCheck Buyback Protection guarantee
    • Run an Auto Check Vehicle History Report. If the vehicle has a clean title history it will qualify for the AutoCheck Buyback Protection guarantee… FREE from AutoCheck.
    • AutoCheck will actually buy the vehicle back from you if you find a severe problem (major accident, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or a manufacturer buyback) that was reported by a DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles and not included in the Vehicle History Report. This protection lasts for one year and is transferable.
    • Try Vehicle History Report account login now !
    • Don't buy a used car without AutoCheck Vehicle History Report

 USED CARS HISTORY > CAR LEMON LAW > Car Lemon Law and Legal Resources

Used Car history 
Please Select your State to learn more information about Lemon Law in your state.
STATE LEMON LAWS: Colorado Lemon Law Idaho Lemon Law Louisiana Lemon Law Mississippi Lemon Law New Jersey Lemon Law Oklahoma Lemon Law Tennessee Lemon Law Washington DC Lemon Law
Alabama Lemon Law Connecticut Lemon Law Illinois Lemon Law Maine Lemon Law Missouri Lemon Law New Mexico Lemon Law Oregon Lemon Law Texas Lemon Law West Virginia Lemon Law
Alaska Lemon Law Delaware Lemon Law Indiana Lemon Law Maryland Lemon Law Montana Lemon Law New York Lemon Law Pennsylvania Lemon Law Utah Lemon Law  Wisconsin
Arizona Lemon Law Florida Lemon Law Iowa Lemon Law Massachusetts Lemon Law Nebraska Lemon Law North Carolina Lemon Law Rhode Island Lemon Law Vermont Lemon Law Wyoming Lemon Law 
Arkansas Lemon Law Georgia Lemon Law Kansas Lemon Law Michigan Lemon Law Nevada Lemon Law North Dakota Lemon Law South Carolina Lemon Law Virginia Lemon Law  
California Lemon Law Hawaii Lemon Law Kentucky Lemon Law Minnesota Lemon Law New Hampshire Lemon Law Ohio Lemon Law South Dakota Lemon Law Washington Lemon Law  
Please choose the following car manufacturer link to search auto reviews, sale price, rebates, warranty, defect, recalls, news, complaint, problem, scheduled maintenance service report, repair tips and frequently asked questions:
MAKE: Acura   Aston Martin Audi Bentley BMW Buick Cadillac Chevrolet Chrysler Dodge
Ferrari Ford GMC Honda Hummer Hyundai Infiniti Isuzu Jaguar Jeep Kia
Lamborghini Land Rover Lexus Lincoln Lotus Mazda Mercedes-Benz Mercury Mini Mitsubishi Nissan
Oldsmobile Pontiac Porsche Rolls Royce Saab Saturn Subaru Suzuki Toyota Volkswagen Volvo

Getting an Immigrant Visas and Green Cards

Getting a green card is not an easy process. First, in most cases you must have a sponsor, usually a relative or U.S. employer who wants to bring you to the United States. You must then convince the U.S. Government that you are eligible under one of the categories available for permanent residence. Once you have done that, you still don't get a green card. You must apply for an immigrant visa at the embassy or consulate in the country where you live.

The embassy or consulate will review your green card application, making sure you do not fall into any category of people who are excluded from the United States, thisis called being inadmissible. . Only then will you get an immigrant visa stamped into your passport. You must enter the United States within six months to claim your green card. If you do not act in time, the immigrant visa will expire and your right to a green card will be lost. If you are already in the United States when you apply for a green card you will not get an immigrant visa, and so will not have to deal with this deadline.

When you have a green card, you are required to make the United States your permanent home. If you don't, you risk losing your card. This does not mean your ability to travel in and out of the United States is limited. Freedom to travel as you choose is an important benefit of a green card. However, no matter how much you travel, you must maintain your permanent residence in the United States. It's safest not to stay away for more than six months.

All green cards issued since 1989 carry expiration dates of ten years from the date of issue. This does not mean that the residency itself expires in ten years, just that the card must be replaced. The requirement to renew green cards every ten years applies only to cards with expiration dates.

Green Card Categories

The Immigration and Naturalization Service has many categories for permanent residents. You must fit into one of those categories to be eligible for a green card. There are often preferences and quotas within categories.

1. Immediate Relatives

There is no quota limit on the number of green cards that can be issued to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. Immediate relatives are defined as:

2. Preferences

Those who receive green cards under categories with quotas fall into one of several classifications called preferences. Although there are a number of preference categories, they actually cover only two general types of people:

Preferences give priority to certain individuals over others who apply for green cards.

Group I: Family Preference Green Cards

Family first preference. Unmarried people, any age, who have at least one U.S. citizen parent.

Family second preference. Section A: Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 of a green card holder. Section B: Unmarried children over age 21 of a green card holder.

Family third preference. Married people, any age, who have at least one U.S. citizen parent.

Family fourth preference. Sisters and brothers, 21 years old or older, of U.S. citizens.

Group II: Employment Preference Green Cards

Employment first preference. Priority workers, including the following three groups:

Employment second preference. Professionals with advanced degrees or exceptional ability.

Employment third preference. Professionals and skilled or unskilled workers.

Employment fourth preference. Religious workers and various miscellaneous categories of workers and other individuals.

Employment fifth preference. Individual investors willing to invest $1 million in a U.S. business -- or $500,000 in economically depressed areas. The investor must also employ at least ten workers.

3. Ethnic Diversity: Green Card Lotteries

A certain number of green cards are given to people from countries that in recent years have sent the fewest immigrants to the United States. The purpose of this program is to ensure a varied ethnic mix among those who immigrate to America. The method used for distributing these green cards is a random selection by computer, so the program is popularly known as the green card lottery. 

4. Special Immigrants

Occasionally, laws are passed making green cards available to people in special situations. Groups singled out for these green cards are not included in the preference system and are referred to as special immigrants. The current special immigrant categories are:

5. Refuge and Political Asylum

Every year, many people seek political asylum in America or try to get green cards as refugees. The two are often thought of as the same category, but there are some technical differences. A refugee receives permission to come to the United States with refugee status before actually arriving. Political asylum is granted only after someone has physically entered the United States, either as a nonimmigrant or an undocumented (illegal) alien. The qualifications for refugee status and political asylum are similar. You must fear political or religious persecution in your home country. If you are only fleeing poverty, you do not qualify in either category.

6. Temporary Protected Status

The INS may decide to give citizens of certain countries temporary safe haven in the United States when conditions in their homeland become dangerous. This is called Temporary Protected Status (TPS). TPS is similar to political asylum except that it is always temporary, and will never alone qualify you for a green card.

7. Amnesty

Congress added an amnesty for Nicaraguan and Cuban nationals in a 1997 bill called the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA). Some provisions also benefit Salvadorans, Guatemalans, and Eastern Europeans.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) gave amnesty to aliens who had been living in the United States illegally since January 1, 1982 by making green cards available to them. The deadline for filing temporary residency applications as amnesty candidates was May 4, 1988, however, under certain circumstances late applications may still be accepted. If you believe you may be eligible for amnesty, check with an immigration attorney to see if you can still apply. Do not check first with an INS office because, if it turns out you don't qualify, you could inadvertently cause your own deportation.

8. Special Agricultural Workers

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 also contained an amnesty green card opportunity for agricultural laborers who worked in the fields for at least 90 days between May 1, 1985 and May 1, 1986. The filing deadline for these temporary residency applications was November 30, 1988. However, late applications may be accepted under certain circumstances. Check with an immigration attorney if you think you are eligible in this category because if you are not, you could be deported.

9. Long-Term Residents and Other Special Cases

The law also allows certain people who have lived illegally in the United States for more than ten years to obtain permanent legal residence. If you have been in the country illegally for more than ten years, you must show that your spouse or children -- who must be U.S. citizens -- would face "extraordinary and exceptionally unusual hardship" if you were forced to leave the country.

If you believe that you meet this requirement, you should consult a lawyer before going to the INS to make an application. If you don't fall clearly into this category, you may cause your own deportation by making yourself known to the authorities. In fact, this remedy is realistically only available to persons already in removal proceedings. The INS has no obligation to act on any other application, and it may sit in their files for years -- or until the law changes against you.

Finally, individual members of Congress have, on occasion, intervened for humanitarian reasons in extraordinary cases, helping an individual obtain permanent residence even if the law would not allow it.


There are no limits on the number of green cards that can be issued to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. For those who qualify in any other category, there are annual quotas. Quotas affect family and employment-based preference green cards, and can create long waiting periods. Green cards allocated annually to employment-based categories, including investors and special immigrants, number 140,000 worldwide. In the family categories, approximately 480,000 green cards can be issued each year.

Only 7% of all worldwide preference totals added together can be given to persons born in any one country. There are, therefore, two separate quotas: one for each country and for the entire world. This produces an odd result because when you multiply the number of countries in the world by seven (the percentage allowed to each country) you get a much larger total than 100. What this means from a practical standpoint is that the 7% allotment to each country is an allowable maximum, not a guaranteed number. Applicants from a single country that has not used up its 7% green card allotment can still be prevented from getting green cards if the worldwide quota has been exhausted.

In addition to the fixed worldwide totals, 55,000 extra green cards are given each year through the ethnic diversity or lottery category. Qualifying countries and the number of green cards available to each are determined each year according to a formula. 

 USED CARS HISTORY > CAR LEMON LAW > Lemon Law and Legal Resources

Copyright 2011 © AUTO LEMON - USED CAR HISTORY CHECK. All rights reserved. VIN Number - Vehicle History Report - Kelley Blue Book - Auto Insurance - Auto Warranty